Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nothing Like Being Grandma


This little girl, who used to climb in bed with me early in the mornings and kiss my cheeks all over when I would visit them, has somehow turned 18! Little Jade is all grown up. Talk about a “Sunrise, Sunset” moment, this is it. It happened too fast.

Jade and her four siblings live too far away. It should be against the law. Instead of flying to Oklahoma for her high school graduation we decided her gift from us would be a flight here for a one-on-one with Grandma and Grandpa. She was delighted— a chance to get away and be spoiled. With a number of fun-loving cousins here to enjoy from time to time (thank you, Rebecca, for coming just in time), she has had a ton of fun. As for me, I have cherished every moment with her since she lives so far away.

She loves the musicals and wanted to watch “Newsies” with me one afternoon. So, of course, we watched it. Now I know what heaven is—it’s Jade snuggled up next to me on the couch watching the DVD as she sings along with every, and I mean every, song. She knows them all. I loved every minute. When that’s over she has another idea. Grandpa walks in and she says, “Grandpa have you seen ‘The Princess and the Frog’? We hadn’t. “Oh, you just have to see it with me!” So off we go to Red Box, come home with the DVD, fix popcorn and the fun begins again. This time both grandparents enjoyed the fun of hearing her sing and wiggle in rhythm throughout this jazz-filled adorable movie. She’s right, it’s a good one. But would it be as good without her to watch as we watch it?

Another day she helps me with dinner and shares her testimony of Christ, and expresses her thanks for a great senior year of seminary. Could there be anyone more wonderful than her teacher Brother Torrie? I’ve never met him, but from all she says I think he must walk on water. He reached into her heart and wound the gospel firmly around it. And I love him for it.

Among the many activities we arranged, we gave her a fun party with Lundberg cousins, took walks around the Provo Temple, time at Perrys’ where Janice taught her the new song “He Loves Me” I wrote with Janice for our granddaughters, a shopping trip to Park City outlets with cousin EmmaLee, husband Brandon and baby Jaymz, baptisms with cousin Brooke at her favorite Oquirrh MountainTemple, a trip to Tami’s horse ranch, a piano concert with the Saunders clan to hear Aunt Delma play, a visit to beloved 89-year-old Aunt Fern, a couple of over-nighters here with cute-cousin Rebecca, and a fun double date arranged with and by yet another cute cousin, Melissa, who knew the prefect “righteous hottie” for her blind date. Jade said, “I like these Utah boys, they are so respectful and good, and they know how to have a fun time the right way, and they’re so cute. I think I want to marry one of them some day.” At this age, the grass is always greener away from home. She hopes to come to school out here after a year or two of college there. I’m in favor!

Just thinking about her flying back home brings tears to my eyes. I will miss her terribly. This gift for her has been a treasured gift for me. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for blessing us with grandchildren like Jade, and the 14 others whom we also adore and look forward to a spoiling on some special occasion for them. But for now I’m content to bask in the happy light of Jade’s incredibly fun visit.

4 comments:

  1. Loved hearing about your visit with Jade!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun week! Thanks for being a wonderful Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I found out you have started a blog! It is already wonderful and I look forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! You are one rockin' grandma... and aunt!

    ReplyDelete